Application for the Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Programme 2020 for African students is now open. The Yale Young African Scholars Programme (YYAS) is a high-intensity academic and leadership program designed for African secondary school students who have the talent, drive, energy, and ideas to make meaningful impacts as young leaders, even before they begin their university studies. YYAS is an official program of Yale University.
Application Deadline: 12th of February, 2020
Host Institutions: Summer 2020 YYAS will be held in three locations, Kenya, Zimbabwe and Ghana.
Degree Level: Training/Short Courses
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Scholarship Benefits: An intensive academic and enrichment program for African secondary school students
- To make the program accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, there is no cost for students to participate in YYAS.
- However, participants ARE responsible for any passport and/or visa related expenses, and for getting themselves to the venue at the outset of the program and their return home at the end of the program. Participants will also be responsible for any incidental expenses they elect to incur.
- Please note that students from low-income backgrounds who demonstrate financial need may apply for a limited number of travel grants offered by the program. If awarded, the grant will cover the cost of a roundtrip plane ticket between a student’s home country and the program location. It will NOT cover costs associated with the passport and/or visa. Students can only apply for travel assistance after they have received an offer of admission to YYAS.
Eligible Nationalities: African countries
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Programme 2020
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline (12 February 2020) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest May/June 2021. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2020. Students who will graduate secondary school before August 2020 are NOT eligible to apply.
- If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus, you may NOT apply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus, you can apply to YYGS if eligible)
Selection Criteria: A typical YYAS participant has:
- Excellent academic records
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- Persistence and determination when facing challenges
- High standards of personal and professional conduct
- The ability to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- Interest in engaging in discussions about intellectual, moral, and political issues in Africa
Application Information: https://africanscholars.yale.edu/admissions/how-apply
Kindly visit the official website for more information.
Official website: https://africanscholars.yale.edu/admissions/how-apply