The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers College of Technology Scholarships to international students who wish to study at Japanese colleges of technology under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program.
Application Deadline: Deadline is determined by individual Japanese diplomatic missions.
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): Japan
About the Award: DEFINITION OF “COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY STUDENTS”: Those who are enrolled in a course of study or in an advanced course at a college of technology, or who are receiving preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects prior to placement at the college of technology.
MEXT College of Technology Scholarships will be granted those who are willing to contribute to mutual understanding between Japan and their home country by participating in activities at schools and communities during their study in Japan while contributing to the internationalization of Japan.
They shall also make efforts to promote relations between the home country and Japan by maintaining close relations with the university attended after graduation, cooperating with the conducting of surveys and questionnaires, and cooperating with relevant projects and events conducted by Japanese diplomatic missions after they return to their home countries.
Fields of Study: Those who apply for College of Technology Scholarships must choose a field of study in accordance with the following procedure and fill in “Preferred field of study and majors elements” on the application form.
- Choose preferred field(s) of study from among (A) to (H) below. Applicants may enter a first, second and third choice.(A) Mechanical Engineering (B) Electrical and Electronic Engineering (C) Information, Communication and Network Engineering (D) Materials Engineering (E) Architecture (F) Civil Engineering (G) Maritime Engineering (H) Other Fields
- Choose preferred majors element(s) from the “Name of Majors Elements” listed in the chosen field(s) of study on the Annex “Majors and Related Key Terms for Fields of Study”.(Note 1) Applicants who apply for “(D) Materials Engineering” may not choose it in combination with other fields of study. Applicants wishing to choose more than one Majors Elements, should select their first, second and third choice of the Elements from ones under “(D) Materials Engineering.”
(Note 2) An Applicant who applies for “(G) Maritime Engineering” must have vision of 0.5 or more in either eye with or without glasses, and no color-blindness.
(Note 3) Applicants who choose “(H) Other Fields” (International Communication or Management Information
Engineering) may have difficulties in finding colleges of technology capable of accepting them.
- Nationality: Applicants of the College of Technology Scholarships must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the other country and renounce their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan.
- Age: Applicants, in principle, must be born between April 2, 1994 and April 1, 2002. Exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant cloud not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country (military service obligation, loss of educational opportunities due to disturbances of war, etc.)
- Academic Background: Applicants must satisfy any one of the following conditions.
- Applicants who have completed 11 years of schooling in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who willmeet the above qualifications by March 2019 are eligible.)
- Applicants who have completed studies at a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school incountries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above qualifications by March 2019 are eligible.)
- Other than the above ① and ② conditions, applicants who are eligible for transfer admission to a thirdyearcourse at a college of technology at the time of application.
- Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan before and after arriving in Japan. In addition, in principle,applicants must be willing to receive college of technology education in Japanese.
- Health: Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
- Arrival in Japan: In principle, the selected applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between the 1st and 7th of April 2019. Departure from the home residence should be on or after 1 April. If the applicant arrives in Japan before the specified period above for personal reasons, travel expenses to Japan will not be paid.
- Visa Requirement: An applicant shall, in principle, obtain a “Student” visa at the Japanese diplomatic missionlocated in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the residence status of “Student.”
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Allowance: 117,000 yen per month. A supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added to the monthly scholarship amount for the grantees studying or conducting research in specially designated regions. .
- Education Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at colleges of technology and apreparatory educational institution will be paid by MEXT.
- Traveling Expenses.
Duration of Programme: The College of Technology Scholarships period will last for four years from April 2020 to March 2024, including one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects due to be provided upon arrival in Japan. For scholarship grantees majoring in maritime engineering, the scholarship period will be four and a half years, lasting up to September 2024.
How to Apply: All applicants are required to submit the relevant documents (including Application Form, Majors and Related Key Terms for Fields of Study, Recommendation Letter and Certificate of health,) to the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country by the designated deadline. The submitted documents will not be returned.